Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Dark Side of the Super Bowl



I feel like I need to apologize for this blog post even before I start.
Why? I don’t know. I just do. So here it is…

I’m sorry. Truly sorry.

I do believe that I could lose friends over this. Perhaps I may lose 1 of my 6 followers, or perhaps someone may choose to never “lurk” through my blog again. One thing I know, my blog is not, nor ever will be a popularity contest. So in this case, I just need to trust the Lord, speak the truth and pray you can see my heart behind these words.

I would like to bring up a fact that I found out today that really caused my heart to stop.
Gasp. Choke. Weep.

A fact that I would have never thought could be true because here in America,
we don’t REALLY do this,
do we?


Apparently we do.
And “Super Bowl” is the granddaddy of them all.

Here is the fact that has me beyond troubled, to say the least:

The USA Today reports that: "The Super Bowl is the greatest show on Earth, but it also has an ugly underbelly… It's commonly known as the single largest human trafficking incident in the United States."

“The single largest human trafficking incident
in the United States."

Super Bowl!

Maybe you knew this.

I did not.

What we consider the greatest day in sports,
is one of the darkest and most violent days for young innocent girls.
IN OUR VERY OWN COUNTRY. How tragic.

Did you know this?

As we sit around in our living room with our friends, eating all the yummy “Super Bowl Dishes” you could muster up, laughing, sharing drink and telling jokes… somewhere, in a hotel room is a young, frightened, scared, and timid girl who has no idea what the next 48 hours look like for her.
You think I’m kidding? I wish I was.

This is not a joke.

“Each year, 100,000 to 300,000 American kids, some as young as 12 years old,
are exploited in the sex trade. The traffickers use the Super Bowl and other large events
such as the World Cup to play their trade.
The traffickers try to seize that opportunity to do business” (USA Today)


“To do business”?

Business with who?

Reported: Tens of thousands of party-minded football enthusiasts descending into a Super Bowl host city make an ideal setting for traffickers of underage prostitutes.


Us? The American people?

Yes.

‘Large sporting events like the Super Bowl are prime targets for sex traffickers because of the high demand generated by thousands of men pouring into an area for a weekend of fun.’ This means that American men are purchasing underage girls, as young as 12, (maybe younger), for an ‘entertaining evening of sex”… and then what?
Go home to your family?
Go back to the office the next day?
Report to school to teach your class?
Perform the open heart surgery?
Drive the local school bus?  

The depth of darkness is sometimes too much to comprehend.
Doesn’t mean it not true… just hard to stomach.

My heart is two-fold tormented right now.

First: that THIS (child-trafficking) would take place on our American soil and dance around the 15 BILLION dollar sex industry that America supports, all the while we are distracted with the lights, noise and competition of the “Super Bowl”.
Wow, how super!

Second: That AMERICAN people do this. Shameful.

Maybe I am reviling my ignorance in all this.
Perhaps I am sharing nothing new with you. To me, it’s all heart wrenching.

Who are these “men” who purchase these girls?
Ever wonder that?

We are not talking seedy hotels and stolen dirty-hot cash at work here. We are talking 220 of Indianapolis nicest hotels in a 50 mile radius that were under some form of child sex-trafficking surveillance during the Super Bowl week. This is classy-high-end money destroying and raping these innocent girls.

Did you ever look at the “Super Bowl” in this light? I didn’t.
I was blind. But now I see.

I don’t know. This is all very surprising to me.

For me, as a Christian, to hear of such devastation happening in my own backyard, on such a day like that… brings me back to so many Bible verses. I really do not know what to do with this information. Or maybe I do and it will just take a little bit to download it in my mind.


I know my Bible says,
“Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness,
but rather expose them.
It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.
But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—
and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. This is why it is said:
   'Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.'
 Be very careful, then, how you live—
not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity,
because the days are evil.” Eph. 5:11-17

I’m just sharing my heart.


I’m not sure what tomorrow may bring but I know for me, I could probably never watch another
Super Bowl game in good conscious knowing what I know now. I know we all love a good reason to get together and have fun and watch “just a game”… but when you really look at what you are watching and being exposed to; commercials, half time show, (SEX SEX SEX) on so many levels, it’s no wonder why the Lord says, “Do not touch, Do not taste.” Because we see it for something fun and innocent, but when facts like these arise, shouldn’t we be really asking “under what spirit are we being influenced”?

I know, I know, I'm no fun.
I should lighten up.
Things aren’t that bad.
Its just a game.
Not everything needs to be “spiritualized” …
really?
That’s not what my Bible says.

“Love not the world”… the world L.O.V.E.S. the Super Bowl BUT
look what it is doing to our children. Our nation.
Super Bowl indirectly supports the darkest and most vile industry known to mankind and creates one of the largest feeding grounds for child-traffickers and child slavery on American soil.


This should create a problem to us!

Meanwhile the true and real enemy distracts us with flashy lights, comical commercials and fancy cars and we fall head first under the spell. “Oh it’s just a game…”

Domestic sex traffickers particularly target vulnerable young girls, such as runaway, homeless, and foster care children. The average age a young girl enters into prostitution is 13 in the United States. Wow. Sex trafficking brings in $9.5 billion annually in the US alone. “God Bless America!”

 
I repeat, 100,000 to 300,000 American kids, are raped, beaten and abused during
“the #1 show on Earth”… THE SUPER BOWL!

My thoughts for the day.

Like I said, I’m sorry for this blog post.
I hope we can still be friends.

(still just flying around … coo-coo)
I wonder what people would do and say if the American Christians were challenged to boycott the Super Bowl? Just curious. I bet a lot of back lash would come, mostly probably from Christians. What if all American churches called for a week of fasting and prayer during this time? What if we, instead of watching the Super Bowl, WORKED IT! That’s right. What if the body of Christ took the child-trafficking industry by the horns and stalked the hotels surrounding the Stadium. In hope and open prayer that the pimps would see us in multitudes and stop the business. Even for those few days.


Imagine, if we could save just one girl, by being a voice, wouldn't it would all be worth it?
That one-girl is a child of God.
Created in His image.
Designed for His Glory.

Not for the pimps or pig-headed freaked-out creeps that slither around Super Bowl parties
looking for a “good-time”.


Oh God have mercy!
 

1 comment:

  1. First of all I don't know why you would lose friends over having your own thoughts and convictions on something. I am not surprised at the extent of human trafficing of young girls here in America..I knew it was going on more than we want to know..It does sadden and disgust me. I am always amazed at how evil people will use a fun event or a sacred event to bring about more evil. It saddens me greatly and angers me too. We don't watch the Super Bowl as Joel and I are among the few who do not care for sports on TV but your idea of a week of prayer and fasting before this event sounds great. It matters when we pray! Sending hugs your way today Robin. Your passion for those who are unprotected and have no voice is to be admired...whether it is the orphans or the young girls being sold into prostitution.

    ReplyDelete