Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Heart of a child. My child.

"Buy truth, and do not sell it;
   buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding."
Proverbs 23:23


So the other night I was sitting with Hannah and we were *discussing* how we need to be thankful for everything that we have.
That the Lord is not pleased when we have a heart of grumbling and unthankfulness.
We need to understand that when mommy puts dinner on the table,
we need to be thankful.
When clothes are laid out for us to wear,
we need to be grateful.
When it's time to take a warm bubble bath we need
to understand that we are a blessed people who have running water.

After going back and forth with my child, I decided…
you know what… she's not too young,
she’s old enough! I need to show her just what I'm talking about.
(Sometimes I feel words go in one ear and out the other.
You with kids ever feel that way? Go figure.)

So I got that iPad and we sat on the couch.

I opened one of my favorite blogs and I started to read to her stories and look at pictures.
I showed her pictures of children that had no parents
They had no home.
The literally lived in the streets
and some of these children were just a little bigger than Phoebe,
barley walking,
left to fen for themselves.


They were given no dinner that night.
They had no clean clothes to put on that day.
In fact, they didn't even have shoes.
They we're as dirty as a little one could get.
That means nobody ran them a warm bubble bath.
They had no cozy bed to crawl into and that “last sip of water” you think you have to have....
They didn't even get water that day!




As we sat there and I shared with her my heart and we looked at these children, tears began flowing down her face. She started to see that these children really were in need and she has everything these little precious children only dream of having.

We both were crying now.
I held her very close. Being very aware of what was happening.

We paused and prayed.

I held her as I prayed that Jesus would send someone to help these little gems. I pleaded with Jesus and asked for a way to be made through the wilderness.

When we were done praying, we just sat there.
For the first time, my daughter, my little 6 ½ year old saw the world with a new set of eyes.
I know things started to transpire in her heart.

She asked me later that night, “Mommy, are there orphans who are going to bed
right now that have tummy aches because they are hungry?”
I had to tell her the truth.
I said, “Yes honey, I am sorry to say that there are.”
She put her arms out to me and started to weep,
“Oh mommy, I want to give them my dinner.”

Heart of a child. My child.

 “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them,
for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child
will never enter it.”
And he took the children in his arms,
placed his hands on them and blessed them."
Mark 10:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment